Subtitle: does Fedora actually suck?

Hi folks. This isn't a troll. We run SL on all of our server systems and most of our client systems around here, and I'm pretty happy with the situation, except for one thing: we get requests fairly frequently for software that our user community genuinely must have, but that is not in the current version of SL. (Examples include Python 2.4, PHP 5.x, MySQL 5.x, etc.)

We typically respond to this by building parallel copies of the software in question:

    foo.tar.gz --> /usr/local/foo

This approach usually works, but it does have some pitfalls, such as other programs finding the "wrong" version of foo.

I recently had what I thought was a bright idea: leave SL on the server systems, but run Fedora on the client systems. Then we get bleeding-edge software where we need it and stability where we need it. The downside is the necessity for frequent upgrades to the client systems, but we can kickstart a lot of those, so that isn't such a big issue.

On the other hand, I've seen some words on this list lately that indicate that Fedora is buggy, unreliable, etc. Those kinds of things ARE big issues. I installed Fedora 6 on an ancient PC at home and haven't seen any obvious problems with it, except that the X-windows display isn't nearly as good as the Windows display was.

If you have any solid experience with Fedora, I'd appreciate hearing your opinions of Fedora. Thanks.

                                        - Mike
--
Michael Hannon            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. of Physics          530.752.4966