Connie Sieh wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, jeffrey d anderson wrote:

Mozilla is not supported by the Mozilla.org anymore. There is seamonkey which is mozilla but with community support.

Firefox/thunderbird should be able to handle the mozilla/seamonkey duties.

The issue with putting in seamonkey is that there are many security changes to seamonkey. There is quite a bit of work keeping it updated.

I prefer seamonkey over firefox because some of the babies were thrown out including:
 The Window menu. I use it a lot.
The open-new-tab button. I have to drop the mouse and fond ^T to open a new tab.
 Better selection on Tools menu.

Against Mozilla/Seamonkey are

its memory leak. It's been there for years, people (including me) have reported it, but "We can't reproduce it" they say. I can't avoid it:-(. (I'm not convinced Firefox doesn't have it too).

 The latest seamonkey build is a little buggier than I'm used to.

I've managed to build them for our use here, but it sure would be preferable to have them part of the distribution rather than having to hunt down source
rpms from various Fedora releases and then hack at the spec files.

Yes that is the issue. Someone would have to hunt down source rpms and hack at the spec files.

I realize that the big issue with these "addon" packages is long-term
maintenance, but the removal of these packages from the distribution is a
little alarming. Someone here even mentioned that there was talk of removing

I understand why mozilla/seamonkey is not included. Firefox/thunderbird should cover that space. Is there something that is not covered by Firefox/thunderbird?

emacs!  Imagine that.

-Connie Sieh

--

Cheers