Mark Stodola wrote:
I believe most of anaconda's "magic" comes from probing the PCI and USB bus for vendor and device IDs. If you dig into a driver (for example, e1000e), you will find a pcitable listing all of the IDs the driver supports. If you look in /lib/modules/<kernel>/ you will find a modules.pcimap and modules.usbmap among other bus types.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Mark

Ken Teh wrote:
How does a system determine the appropriate sata driver? Specifically, how does anaconda figure out to write

alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix

in my modprobe.conf and to bind it into my initrd image?

I took apart boot.iso but didnt find anything "readable" that indicated how this was determined.

Thanks!

Ken

Hi Ken,
On SL 5, alot of that data comes from hwdata, which is in the
/usr/share/hwdata directory.
The main ones people and programs look at is
pci.ids and usb.ids
But there are other files in there.
Troy
Troy Dawson  daw...@fnal.gov  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI LMSS Group