I am using SL4.4 kernel 2.6.9-80.0.20.EL on an old Compaq Evo N620c laptop that I would like to suspend or hibernate.

What is the easiest way to do this perferrably without recompiling kernel?

I see
http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/54610
Since, cat /sys/power/state yields 'standby mem disk' and in my config file, 'CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP' is set to yes 'y'.   So I tried the script on the link 'suspend.sh'.
which powered off OK but could not find a key to resume laptop operation.  Email from 2004 indicates a problem with firmware or something with N620c (reporting same problem).

Other web sites discuss older apm, swsusp, tuxonice etc.   Other websites have laptop compatibility info for various things so the trail spreads out.

Back to my initial question.  What is the easiest or recommended way to implement suspend and/or hibernate on an older laptop such as COMPAQ EVO N620c?

Bill Lutter