Success. I finally got all this stuff working. Here's the sequence I had to follow: (The Dell RPM already configured.)
  1. /usr/bin/yum clean all
  2. /opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/srvadmin-uninstall.sh -f
  3. /bin/rpm --erase $( /bin/rpm -qa | /bin/grep srvadmin ) ipmitool OpenIPMI
  4. /bin/rpm --erase $( /bin/rpm -qa | /bin/grep -i ipmi )
  5. /bin/rm -rf /opt/dell/srvadmin
  6. reboot
  7. /usr/bin/yum -y install OpenIPMI
  8. reboot
  9. /usr/bin/yum -y install srvadmin-all
  10. reboot
  11. /usr/bin/yum -y install ipmitool
  12. reboot
This sequence is possibly longer than it needs to be (i.e. the reboots) but I got it all working and I wasn't going to mess with success, time was/is critical.

What seems to have been critical is the sequence of installation of the three key pieces. I still want to know *WHY* the sequence was an issue.
--
  << MCT >>   Michael C Tiernan.   xmpp:mtier...@mit.edu
  MIT - Laboratory for Nuclear Science - http://www.lns.mit.edu