On 8/30/2010 11:14 PM, g wrote:
On 08/31/2010 03:01 AM, Alan Bartlett wrote:
<snip>

As a scientist, I would perform the experiment but now, I suspect, it
will not make any difference.  :-/
i am not a scientist, but i do know how to 'swag'. ;)

will give mkinitrd a run tomorrow.

I right out of ideas. Perhaps someone else may have a suggestion?
i do appreciate your help.

you had me going in a good direction, but dm-* modules just do not
want to go along 'with the program'.

i do hope someone has an answer. i wanted to do an upgrade, but i
wanted to get ride of raid first. there has to be a way.

thanks again.

Some suggestions. First, I think that renaming the dm directory won't do what you want because a "modprobe -a" will rebuild the dependencies with the new directory names. That's just a theory of mine that's unproven. To defeat this, you would need to move that directory completely out /lib/modules tree. However, I would make sure you have a backup kernel configured that you can boot from if this crashes your startup.

A less drastic measure to try would be to make a /etc/modprobe.conf file with something like this

alias modulename off

Or

blacklist modulename

see http://wiki.xdroop.com/space/RedHat/Prevent+Module+Loading for the reference of this solution.

I would think that a raid setup would need to put this stuff on the initial ram disk in case raid is needed to access the boot/root partitions. So a mkinitrd would probably need to be done after making /etc/modprobe.conf.

Regards,
Chris