On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 9:16 PM, Franchisseur Robert <
robert.franchiss...@lmd.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> -- Le (On) 2011-01-05 -0500 à (at) 11:50:54 john h outlan écrivit (wrote):
> --
>
> ><snip>
> >
> > Thanks everyone.....I will try Aumix, I'm familiar with it.  I believe I
> did
> > a full desktop install...it was gnome.  I ran alsamixer from the terminal
> > and adjusted everything.  Here is my lspci -vvv in Squeeze:
> >
> > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High
> > Definition Audio (rev 05)
> >     Subsystem: Dell Device 02ef
> >     Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> > Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx+
> <TAbort-
> > <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
> >     Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
> >     Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 47
> >     Region 0: Memory at f6ffc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> >     Capabilities: <access denied>
> >     Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
> >

>        Hello and happy new year to everybody.
>
>       Are you sure there is not a second audio device ?
>
>       On new Dell Latitude E6510 there are 2 audio devices :
>
>       00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
> High Definition Audio (rev 05)
>        01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio
> Controller (rev a1)
>
>       and the nvidia come first by default but it did not work.
>
>       With  system-config-soundcard  I could tell it to  take  Intel
>       first and now it works like a charm.
>
>       I only do that on SL5.5 as I have not installed any SL6 yet.
>
>       Hope this help.
>
> ><snip>
>
> --
>                 Best regards,
>                               Robert FRANCHISSEUR

Robert....you really caught my attention with that, and I text searched a
copy of the entire list, and I only have that one audio device.  Of course
the mic works in Win7, it uses a DELL IDT HD audio driver.  Darned if I can
get it to work in SL6 or most distros.  thanks for the input.