On 3/17/2011 15:42, Vaclav Mocek wrote:
On 03/17/2011 09:21 PM, Chris Tooley wrote:
How do I change the theme for GDM in SL6?

Not sure, it has been changed in Fedora 12/13 and SL6 uses the same way.
If you want to change the background of the login screen, change the
file "default.xml" in "/usr/share/backgrounds/"; there is a file
"tuv.xml" which is .... .

The rewritten GDM gets its configuration from gconf [1], so if you want to change any settings you should edit the "gdm" user's gconf settings. For instance, if I wanted to disable the login screen's restart buttons I would run this:

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/var/lib/gdm/.gconf -s /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_restart_buttons --type bool false

Rather than changing the XML files in /usr/share/backgrounds to change the login screen's background you can likewise edit another gconf setting:

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/var/lib/gdm/.gconf -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename --type string /path/to/your/preferred/background

The commands above are both from memory, so make sure to double-check them before trying them. ;-)

[1] http://library.gnome.org/admin/gdm/2.28/configuration.html.en

--
Garrett Holmstrom