On 03/17/2011 05:21 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Spencer Buckner<sbuck...@attglobal.net>  wrote:
I am using System->Administration->Printing to configure an HP DeskJet 500
printer connected to the parallel port of a stand-alone computer (not part
of a network). The HP DeskJet 500 is the only printer connected to the
computer and is specified to be the default printer.
(snip)
I have seen messages from Ubuntu users with the same problems but have not
found any understandable fixes. Can anyone help?
SL6 does not have parallel port support (it was dropped upstream). But
ELRepo comes to the rescue :-)

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-lp

Try installing that package and see if that solves your problem.

Akemi

After installing kmod-lp and configuring the printer again, printing the test page worked on the first try!

Thank you very much.

Spencer