On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, Simon Butcher wrote:

Hello

Attempting to perform a network kickstart from a local mirror on a Dell Optiplex 380 with the onboard Broadcom BCM57780 Gigabit ethernet controller.

It appears that the pxe boot kernel on SL60 does not have the drivers, although SL55 definitely has them and we regularly kickstart these machines with SL55 (and SL54 i think also worked). SL53 did not.

However for SL60 not to have them is a considerable regression. I am using the pxeboot images mirrored from:
http://rsync.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.0/i386/os/images/pxeboot/

Anyone have any insights, or confirm/deny this behaviour for this network card (or workarounds not involving physical media)?

Stupid question:
This is definitely a case of not having the drivers
and not one of trying to use the wrong interface ?
(There have already been threads about SL6 numbering them differently
from SL5 and IIRC SL5 sometimes numbers them differently in the
PXE kernel and the main OS kernel.)

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
a.c.aitchi...@dpmms.cam.ac.uk   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna