David,

This sounds like a job for a terminal server (RS232 over IP). They are very common and easy to work with. In fact, I'll be on your campus for the next 2 weeks (flying in Sunday) to help install an accelerator that is being moved. Part of the installation includes such a device. I'd be happy to meet up and show it to you along with code. Our control system software is written so that you can open a direct device (serial) connection or a TCP/IP connection with a simple command line argument. This results in minimal code changes.

If you are interested in meeting or want more detailed information, we can take it off-list. My contact at Vanderbilt is Mike McCurdy, 410 24th Ave S.

Cheers,
Mark

David McLean wrote:
Hi,
This is a two-part question: Firstly, has anyone worked with any of the USB over IP devices in a Linux environment? Secondly, if so, has anyone had any experience developing software to communicate with these devices.

I'm looking at trying to control various RS-232 devices over a network. I currently have developed software that controls these devices though a basic USB to RS-232 adapter but I would like to place a networkable IP-based hub with these adapters connected to it. From what I've seen so far, many USB over IP devices do not support Linux. Does anyone have any experience or insight with USB over IP?

Thanks for your attention!

--

/ David L. McLean
Research Automation Engineer

VIIBRE -Vanderbilt Institute for Integrative Biosystems Research and Education

6805.4 Stevenson Center
VU Station B 351807
Nashville, TN 37235-1807

Ph: 615.343.4124