I have looked at https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/faq/

and cannot find what I am suggesting in this posting.

As you read below, my "easter egg hunt" seems to have found a solution to a specific problem with RHEL 6 X86-64, including SL 6. I am assuming that my experience is not unique, and that a hunting/search through the archives of this list probably would yield solutions to other issues (such as how to add /dev/floppy to SL 6 that was present in previous major RHEL releases).

Would the Fermilab/CERN maintainers of the SL 6 documentation consider collecting all of these solutions in one place? Assuming that subscribers to this list are professionals (including students from the various research and support groups that may be doing the actual technical work), rather than having the maintainers sift this list, the users of this list could have a special drop box email address for items that need consideration. The cumulative solution list would include references and the evidence for successful tests (e.g., Hunt's note below).

Red Hat does not provide this sort of information as public knowledge because Red Hat uses support (this sort of information) as a revenue generator.

Is this possible?

Yasha Karant