I am pleased to report that by taking relatively drastic measures, the USB 3 issues I have been experiencing with SL 6 have been solved.

Using kernel-2.6.38.6-26.rc1.fc15.src.rpm

I built and installed using rpmbuild and the SL 6 gcc 4.4 environment:

kernel-2.6.38.6-26.rc1.el6.x86_64.rpm
kernel-devel-2.6.38.6-26.rc1.el6.x86_64.rpm

Using these rpm files, the machine boots, the Nvidia NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-270.41.19.run file produces a kernel module for the video card works under X11 (both Quadro FX 570 for video and Tesla C2070 for computation) , VirtualBox builds its modules and runs MS Win XP Pro, a USB 2 device (a flash drive) with a MS file system is readable under MS Win XP, and the USB 3 external harddrive is seen and automounts displaying the same file system behavior seen under kernel-2.6.38.6-26.rc1.fc15 within SL 6 as well as under OpenSUSE. When the same USB 2 device is detached from VirtualBox, the filesystem automounts under SL 6 on the Linux host size. Also, the fuse-ntfs mounting of a MS NTFS filesystem works and the drive seems readable and writeable. (Aside: my machine has a 160.0 GByte HP OEM harddrive in it that had MS Win XP HP installed -- this is NOT the file/filesystem I use for VirtualBox, but is mostly used as a test to verify that I have full NTFS access if I were to need it.)

My next endeavor will be to find a production (not rc) version of the above kernel and redo the process.

If anyone wants/needs these RPMs, please let me know. Is there a reputable public site upon which one post such binary files for others to use? I do not want to grant FTP access to my machine. In a pinch, I should be able to post these to my personal web site at my university and one could get access by that means. Be aware that I have not yet extensively tested this kernel nor have I verified the stability of it -- if the machine crashes/panics, I will report this to the SL list.

Yasha Karant

Thus, I conclude that the current and rolling SL 6 x86-64 kernels do not properly support all common USB 3 external harddrives and control interfaces. I have not tested any other USB devices.