On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Yasha Karant wrote:
Is it safe to do the merry chase down the dependency trail to port a later parted to SL 6 or will some of these cause SL 6 to fail/become unstable? Does anyone have a SL 6 port of either parted or gparted that is more recent than the stock SL 6 versions?

You asked about SL6, but my experience with SL5 may be relevant. The stock SL5 parted wouldn't make a label on a 3TB WD USB drive (4096 byte sectors), so I compiled what was then the latest version, parted-2.4, from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/. There were no absent dependencies, installation put the result into /usr/local/sbin, leaving the stock version alone, and the compiled version was adequate. They're up to parted-3.0 now.

Steven Yellin