On 08/04/2011 03:13 PM, Herb Flanders wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm using SL6.1 with GNOME and gedit 2.28.4 and all gedit preferences
are locked (greyed out). Does someone see the same behaviour
or has any pointers how I can change the gedit preferences?

What I've found so far:
gconf-editor shows a list of variables under
/apps/gedit-2/preferences/editor/ but they have no name/value.

Using the following on the command line:
gconftool-2 --set /apps/gedit-2/preferences/editor/auto_indent/auto_indent
--type bool false
the preference in gedit for indentation is now working and gconf-editor
shows a name/value pair for auto_indent but says: "This key has no schema".

So far so good, but I'd like to replace tabs insertion with spaces
and don't know the gconftool command for that. Also, there must be an
easier way to change gedit preferences.

I haven't seen this particular gray-out problem yet (still running mostly 6.0) but the command to set tab/space insertion to a global default is this:

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source \
 xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults \
 --type bool --set /apps/gedit-2/preferences/editor/tabs/insert_spaces \
 true

Of course, this doesn't fix the real problem of grayed out options, or the problem of some gconf keys being "no schema" type (which drives me up the wall). If the above command doesn't work out or starts behaving weirdly, try to locate the key above in the gconf editor and see if its there or not and what effect your change had. Comparing across another account is useful sometimes, too, in the event that upgrade-carryovers or something similar didn't go well.

I've seen strange things happen when people try to copy dotfiles from backups using cp command options that do things like set/preserve SELinux contexts from the backup or basic file permissions that don't allow the programs to know or adjust their preferences any longer, etc. Anyway, my point is there are a few things that can go just weird enough to make your system seem mysterious, but still basically work fine.

-Iwao