On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Andrew Z <form...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alex,
>
> > Unfortunately the link to the tar isn't working right now, so I'll try
> that again later (need to go sleep now...lol). From your reply it looks like
> you are using an i686 system, correct? Also are you comfortable building
> from source? If not I'll try to make the rpms for you if I can get it
> working.
> I have both ( 686 and 64) . It's just my 686 is setup for rpm building, and
> i tried it to see if it can be done quickly. I do appreciate your help with
> rpm building, but i'll try to get it done myself.
>
> Before i went into the abyss of dreamless night, i thought that i should
> check the tars for xkb. Maybe guys never updated the srpms. So that will be
> my next step. For reference :
> http://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-xkb-plugin/0.5/ Most
> likely i get to this in a next few days....
>
> Andrew
>

> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 12:13 AM, Alexander Hunt <
> alexander.d.h...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> **
>> On 08/30/2011 09:37 PM, Andrew Z wrote:
>>
>> unfortunately all of them ( from fedora 9 to 12) produce:
>> xkb-config.c: In function 'xkb_config_initialize_xkb_
>> options':
>> xkb-config.c:153: error: too few arguments to function
>> 'xkl_config_registry_load'
>> xkb-config.c:138: warning: unused variable 'state'
>> xkb-config.c: In function 'xkb_config_free':
>> xkb-config.c:198: warning: unused variable 'i'
>> xkb-config.c: In function 'xkb_config_get_xkl_registry':
>> xkb-config.c:550: error: too few arguments to function
>> 'xkl_config_registry_load'
>> while I try to compile it..
>>
>> the latest i tried was
>> ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/archive.fedoraproject.org/fedora/linux/updates/12/SRPMS/xfce4-xkb-plugin-0.5.3.3-3.fc12.src.rpm
>> next one
>> (xfce4-xkb-plugin-0.5.3.3-4.fc13.i686.rpm<http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/15857499/dir/fedora_13/com/xfce4-xkb-plugin-0.5.3.3-4.fc13.i686.rpm.html>)
>> requires libxklavier-5.1 and that's not in our repos :(
>>
>> i found  reference to this bug (
>> http://osdir.com/ml/debian-bugs-closed/2010-04/msg01890.html). Not sure
>> where to go from here....
>>
>> Any ideas are welcomed
>>  Andrew
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Andrew Z <form...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Alexandr,
>>> the menu. That gives you keyboard options on the last tab. If not check for
>>> the file /usr/share/applications/xfce-keyboard-settings.desktop.
>>>
>>> both are in place. I should say that i installed xfce from epel by "group
>>> install". Didn't do anything else.
>>>
>>> The annoyance with the "Keyboard" tool is that it doesn't provide a way
>>> to select a shortcuts, nor it doesn't put the indicator on the panel. At the
>>> same time i can select the language their and it work ( i can type in
>>> selected language ) as expected.So that's a big plus.
> [...]
After two evenings and a bit too many drinks tonight ( as a result i messed
up smth on my gpg keys ) i found a magic combination of just right patches
to  xfce4-xkb-plugin-0.5.3.3. It's really good because latest ( 0.5.4 )
versions do not support libxklavier 4.x.

Anyway, here are the steps i took to get it working on 6.1 x64.
1. get xfce4-xkb-plugin-0.5.3.3-3.fc12.src.rpm from pbone.com
2. add patch for bug 6028 (
https://bugzilla.xfce.org/attachment.cgi?id=2695&action=diff)
3. bump to version to 4 in spec and add comment.
4. mock/rpmbuild
5. install.
life should improve after this.
one quick note:
 i had to explicitly remove 2nd layout from "App menu"-> "Settings" ->
"Keyboard" - it seemed to be causing confusion - while in "US" layout,
holding CTRL was causing the system to produce letters from the second
layout. so i could not send a "terminate" signal ( ctrl-c ).

Thank you Alexandr for your support.
Andrew