Bill Askew wrote:
We have some Lenovo T61p laptops that we are running SL 5.0 on.
I configure /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0 with a static IP address. I am not putting in the MAC information on purpose. I reboot and the configuration works fine. In the production environment we have, one laptop is used to produce the installations for all the laptops. The drives are then installed in different laptops. When the new laptop is booted it looks like kudzu conceders the Ethernet chip to be a new device since the MAC address is different, so, kudzu messes up the Ethernet configuration. Is there an option to keep kudzu from changing Ethernet configurations or do I just need to disable it?
If I disable kudzu, will hot plug items like a USB device still work?
Thanks
Bill,
I've experienced the same situation over the years. I simply disable kudzu after the initial installation. It will not affect USB or other hotplug type devices as you question (at least from my experience). I have a setup script/rpm that issues a 'chkconfig kudzu off' and go on my way. The only time I've needed to run it again is if I change hardware that requires different drivers. You can then make the changes by hand, or run kudzu from the command line on an as-need basis.

For information's sake, kudzu builds, maintains, and monitors /etc/sysconfig/hwconf in case you are curious how it determines things.

-Mark

--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola
Digital Systems Engineer