On Mon, 7 Nov 2011, Yasha Karant wrote:

On 11/07/2011 09:31 AM, Christopher Tooley wrote:
I have been informed that "update" will not work from EL N to EL N+1 for
major releases, only for minor sub-releases (EL 6.0 to EL 6.1, etc.).

They were probably thinking about the yum update procedure. The DVD/CD update
procedure is definitely available - though perhaps not as nice as a complete
clean install.

-Chris

This was the exact procedure that I requested from the SL support staff
-- using the bootable install DVD for SL 6 to update a SL 5 system, and
was told that such a procedure is not recommended and is not supported
as one of the options presented in the SL 6 installation GUI.

Yes that is our support stance.  It is NOT supported by either TUV or SL .

Would you kindly supply the exact steps using the SL 6 bootable install DVD?

Thanks,

Yasha Karant

-Connie Sieh