My wife did not notice that her laptop was unplugged, and ran the machine until it quit for lack of power. Running SL 6.1 IA-32, current production SL kernel (not elrepo, etc.). On the reboot with improperly unmounted partitions, the auto fsck failed, and gave the usual enter root password or ctrl-D prompt to run fsck manually. When this happened, rather than accept the full root password, after the first few characters, the enter prompt re-appeared, and would never let me get to a shell. I finally had to put the install DVD that has the rescue option into the DVD drive and boot from the DVD, and used fsck -y under rescue to fsck the partitions from ls /dev/sd*. The system then rebooted. What is wrong? What do I need to change?

Yasha Karant