On Monday, April 09, 2012 12:31:39 PM Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 10:40:02AM -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> >
> > ... and the current NetworkManager doesn't handle many production server
> > networking tasks,
> > so upstream left the existing mechanism in place so choice is available.
> >

> No, they have not. In SL6, they have removed the old graphical
> system-config-network tool,
> so either use nm-connection-editor or vi.

The 'existing mechanism' I refer to is the 'network' service and the older
ifcfg-ethX files.  The assumption made in EL6 is that if you use a GUI you will
use NetworkManager.

If you're not using a GUI it is assumed you know how to manually edit the files
you need, including removed the HWADDR piece that binds to MAC address.  And
while I've run afoul of this feature when cloning VM's and replacing network
cards, I've also had this feature save things when the PCI enumeration order
mysteriously changed during a minor kernel update on a previous EL version.
Even DSDT changes can cause bus enumeration order to change, and those can
happen due to a BIOS upgrade or even due to user intervention.  I've personally
done some DSDT manipulations for certain purposes before.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with this change, just saying that this is what
the change is.