zxq9 wrote on 6/13/2012 12:32 AM:
On 06/13/2012 06:44 AM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:

(On this list, are we really required to say "TUV" instead of "***censored***",
as if we were playing a 1984 double-speak live action game?)

Yes, because lawyers have made even casual conversation a legal minefield for
reasons other than getting disappeared by the Thought Police.

Pretty much anything trademarked, burdened by customer guarantees of any sort,
or otherwise encumbered in any way should be referred to obliquely on this list.
This sounds silly, I know, but the reason is that the labs who support this
project don't have the bandwidth or the desire to even open a conversation about
how to open a proper, legal, trade protections unencumbered conversation, and to
that end terms like "TUV" are used around here.

Not that TUV is a bad player -- *far* from it -- but why even open the door in
case the wind starts blowing the other way?

Could someone who maintains this list (Connie? Pat?) please confirm or deny
this seemingly absurd policy!

I have not searched the archives of this list, but of the 1824 messages I
have saved locally over the years, for one reason or another, 333 of them
contain "Redhat" in the body of the message, while another 74 contain "Red Hat".
I don't recall anyone ever getting their typing fingers slapped.

Thanks!
--
P. Larry Nelson (217-244-9855) | Systems/Network Administrator
461 Loomis Lab                 | High Energy Physics Group