On 06/18/2012 11:31 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

An LTO-5 drive is backwards compatible with LTO-4,3 (and maybe 2,1)
drives. It is one advantage of the LTO format that they do a lot of
backwards compatibility. The drives should look about the same to the
hardware. We have LTO-5 library from Quantum which bacula uses without
any special software.

The LTO page on Wikipedia says that a current generation LTO drive will read tapes from
"at least" 2 prior generations.  I have no experience with these tapes; only
throwing this blurb into the discussion.

Am I right to assume that I can use the mt program for a LTO-5 SAS type drive?  That
'tar' will work just fine?  Or do we also need to migrate to more "modern"
software like bacula?

Thanks for the responses so far.