On 08/16/2012 05:30 PM, zxq9 wrote:
On 08/17/2012 03:41 AM, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
Hi All,

SL 6.2, x64

I am looking for a simple contacts manager. I like
"Contacts", but I can not figure out how to import my
CSV contacts list from Windows into it.

"Contacts" will "supposedly" import a VCF, but I can
not figure out how to translate a CSV into a VCF.
And, if I am not mistaken, isn't a VCF one record at
a time, not a whole address book?

Do you guys have a favorite simple contact manager/address
book that will import a CSV?

CSV can mean anything, so there is no universal way to import a CSV file
(it just means that each field is separated by a comma, but there is no
way to tell what order the fields are in).

What program exported the CSV file from Windows?
If the CSV isn't very complicated then it wouldn't be too hard to put a
script together to convert your data, and there probably already is a
tool for that floating around somewhere.

The CSV came from Lotus Smart Suite Address Book.  The headers, after
I turned the database into a CSV, look like this:

0 xFirst Name xLast Name xTitle xJob Title xCompany Name xStreet Address xCity xState xZip xCountry/Region xPhone xExtension xFax xEmail yStreet Address yCity yState yZip yCountry/Region yPhone yFax yEmail

But, I can make the headers anything I want.

My big issue is how to import VCF into Contacts.  Or, dump Contacts
for something more import friendly.

And, I though VCF was one record at a time.

I have tried changing the headers to Outlook's and using "csv2vcard",
but I only get a single VCF record with no data, just VCF tags.

I suppose if I can not find anything better than Contacts, I could
crack Contacts database directly and create a new database for Contacts.
But what a pain in the neck.

Thank you for the help,
-T