Personally I was thinking pretty restricted to scientific code:

openmpi
netcdf
hdf5
WRF

etc.

but I figured with various people contributing their interest we might develop a decent eco-system of performance dependent code. I was *not* thinking of another rebuild/clone of the OS.

The main driver is the need to compile Fortran code with the same compiler up the library stack, but performance benefits of some of the C compilers might be helpful as well.

Legal issues may arise, but generally it appears that you can distribute binaries even with certain runtime libraries as well. If anyone has experience with this though, that would be very helpful.