On 09/02/2012 08:26 PM, Nathan wrote:
On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Todd And Margo Chester
<toddandma...@gmail.com <mailto:toddandma...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Hi All,

    On several Windows machines lately, I have been using
    Intel's Cherryville enterprise SSD drives.  They work
    very, very well.

    Cherryville drives have a 1.2 million hour MTBF (mean time
    between failure) and a 5 year warranty.

    I have been thinking, for small business servers
    with a low data requirement, what would be the
    risk of dropping RAID in favor of just one of these
    drives?

    Seems to me the RAID controller would have a worse
    MTBF than a Cherryville SSD drive?

    And, does SL 6 have trim stuff built into it?

    What do you all think?

In my experience, I've had more problems with hardware RAID controllers
than any other component (hardware OR software) except for traditional
hard drives themselves.  We switched to software RAID (Linux) and ZFS
(*BSD and Solaris)  years ago.

But that's just us.  YMMV.

~ Nathan

Hmmmmmm.  Never had a bad hardware RAID controller.  Had several
mechanical hard drives go bad.

Anyone have an opinion(s) on SSD's in a small work group server?