On Fri, 14 Sep 2012, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Henrique Junior <henrique...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, Volker
I'm already a Fedora packager (not an experient one) and I'd love to put
ntop in EPEL (it is in EPEL for EL5). The problem in maintain ntop in EPEL6
is that Fedora now uses systemd to manage our services instead of sysv. It
is a Fedora policy to keep only one spec file and that spec is not
compatible with EL6 anymore. That is why I believe that RPMForge is the
better option.
I'm open to ideas to make this package as useful as possible.

RHEL 6 still uses primarily init scripts. Fedora 17 or later, however,
uses systemd, and the disparity is going to become more of a problem
for EPEL and Repoforge package maintainers. We're going to have to
publish two startup files, and install based on which OS is selected.

I'm facing similar work with Subversion and the svnserve init script.

It's not a problem for Repoforge in the sense that we do allow to have more than one SPEC file if that's needed. We just don't enforce one spec file per distribution as a default because there are more cases that don't need it, than the cases that do need it.

But if the complexity of having one SPEC file becomes too heavy, maintaining two is the pragmatic way forward. In the case of systemd in RHEL7, that may well be the case.

--
-- dag wieers, d...@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, i...@dagit.net, http://dagit.net/