Todd and Margo,
That's what I wanted to do first. But I considered more fun to try to use
USB stick.
I did precisely the same command on the sda but for reasons of security
(read as -fear of unknown).
since I'm on of 1.1mil without the electricity now, I haven't had a chance
to try any other option yet.

Thank you
AZ
On Oct 31, 2012 2:55 PM, "Todd And Margo Chester" <toddandma...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 10/29/2012 02:41 PM, Andrew Z wrote:
>
>> since the weather is perfect t for drinking and catching up on all the
>> little things that ive been procrastinated to do, i decided to revive
>> the virus ridden laptop.
>> That's some "alienware" from Dell . it doesn't have a cd/dvd . So the
>> only option is to boot from usb stick.
>>
>> i have win7 iso and followed http://reboot.pro/8381/.
>> yet the only result on the screen i see is "SYSLINUX 4.02 20120 .... "
>> and black screen.
>>
>> Anything i need to be aware of ?
>>
>> Any feedback is welcomed.
>> AZ
>>

> Hi Andrew,
>
> I do not know about the usb stick thing, but have
> you thought of borrowing someone's USB external
> DVD drive?
>
> Also, if you have a boot sector virus and you intend
> to wipe anyway, this always works for me:
>
>     THIS WILL RUIN YOUR PARTITION TABLE and all your data!
>
> Boot off a live CD:
>
>     dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 count=100
>
> I have had to do this just to get the Windows Installer
> (XP and W7) to recognize a hard drive that had a boot
> sector virus several times.  (Live CD rescues Windows yet
> again!)
>
> -T

  • usb Andrew Z
    • Re: usb Todd And Margo Chester