On 4 Jan 2013, at 09:58, Jean-Michel Barbet wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We got second hand Dell PE1950s and I am trying to install SL55/64b
> on one of them.
>
> I tried with Kickstart, then with a DVD and I get identical behaviour :
> The mk2fs command hangs at 90% at the "writing superblocks" stage.
>
> As the machine successfully boots when I insert the harddrive of
> previous generation server, I could see what lspci reports for the
> SCSI controller :
>
> 01:00.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1068E
> PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 08)
>
> => Has someone encountered the same problem and what can I do ?
>
> Thank you.
>
> JM
>
> --
> Jean-michel BARBET                    | Tel: +33 (0)2 51 85 84 86
> Laboratoire SUBATECH Nantes France    | Fax: +33 (0)2 51 85 84 79
> CNRS-IN2P3/Ecole des Mines/Universite | E-Mail: bar...@subatech.in2p3.fr

Hello Jean-Michel,
could this possibly be one of the formerly "ours" (ATLAS TDAQ) PE1950? :-)
We still run a lot of them with SLC5.7 with no issues - so it's most probably
something wrong with that specific unit.

A common issue with them, as they grew older and out of warranty, were the
electrolytic capacitors on the SAS card, first getting unstable and finally
popping.
You may want to check them carefully and if possible try to replace them.
Another likely possibility is a bad/unseated DIMM.
Is there anything strange in the IPMI SEL LOG ?

Cheers,
  Sergio

--
 Sergio Ballestrero  - http://physics.uj.ac.za/psiwiki/Ballestrero
 University of Johannesburg, Physics Department