On 31 Jan 2013, at 09:46, Yasha Karant wrote:

> My university network security unit requires that the latest production
> releases of particular network applications be installed in order to minimize
> security compromises on systems attached to the university LAN.  These
> applications include typical web browsers and IMAP email clients, such as
> Firefox, Thunderbird, Opera, Chrome, and MS Internet Explorer (the latter I
> personally only run within MS Win, currently MS Win 7, under VirtualBox under
> Linux).
>
> Opera and Chrome install from the respective source vendors.  However, both
> Firefox and Thunderbird are provided by TUV and thus SL, but at release
> versions considerably lower than the current release from Mozilla.   I have
> found a work around that allows the use of the tar.bz2 installation from
> Mozilla on X86-64 SL6x, but one of our technicians mentioned the use of a
> repository (Remi) that evidently ports the current Mozilla production
> products to EL, including X86-64 EL6.  The relevant URLs appear below.
>
> Is anyone using this repository and these RPMs, and if so, what is the
> experience of such use (e.g., are these faithful ports of the Mozilla
> production applications that perform the same as current production from
> Mozilla)?
>
> http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2011/install-firefox-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel
>
> http://dev.antoinesolutions.com/remi-repository
>
> Yasha Karant

Hello Yasha,
please note that the FF and TB from TUV are fully updated for security -
simply, they are from the Extended Support Release (ESR)
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

So your university requirements for security are already satisfied (possibly
better satisfied), you don't need to move to the fast-release and less stable
"general public" releases, unless you need the features and not the security.

Cheers,
  Sergio

--
 Sergio Ballestrero