On 07/24/2013 01:02 AM, g wrote:
hello pat,

On 07/23/2013 01:17 PM, Pat Riehecky wrote:
It is not possible to upgrade from the 5x branch to the 6x branch.  A
fresh
install is required.

Pat

i have to disagree with you on this issue.

iirc, my last 5x was 5.9. i first ran "yum update" and then ran "yum
upgrade",
both ran with out any problems.

my /etc/reddhat-release shows;

     Scientific Linux release 6.3 (Carbon)

i did not check to insure that all packages are now at 6.3,

And just for this reason it is not recommended to try this. You might get a system that runs, but you are not sure what exactly you have got. And one of the days you get strange problems that can not be reproduced elsewhere. We do not support such systems, and if a user that had done that form of upgrade reports a problem we tell him to properly re-install his system first.

but i would
presume that they are.

Perhaps they are, perhaps not. You waste much more time debugging strange issues than you gain by doing a proper install. So why take the risk?

Matthias