On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM, ToddAndMargo <toddandma...@zoho.com>wrote:

>>> Hi Nico,
>
> This is the actual directory.
>

> http://svn.code.sf.net/p/**rdesktop/code/rdesktop/trunk/<http://svn.code.sf.net/p/rdesktop/code/rdesktop/trunk/>
>
> If I were to wget it and tar it, I could run the
> "rpmbuild -ta tar_ball" command on it.
>
> But, for the fun/challenge of it, I wanted to do it
> directly from the web.  Now I know that you can insert
> web addresses into rpmbuild
>          rpmbuild -ta http://some_tar_bal_on_the_web
> But, I wanted to do it directly to a directory tree.

I think you need to look at how SRPM works to understand that no, it ain't
gonna work. SRPM grabs a flat list of files and builds from them. rpmbuild
-ta is a hook into SRPM, to extract a .spec file from a tarball and treat
the tarball as one of the *already labeled sources* inside the discoverd
.spec file.

To do what you're asking for, you'd need to have a designated .spec file in
the public directory that already knows how to extract the rest of the
directory form the web, and pull and run "rumbuild -ba" on that .spec file.
Doable, but fairly weird, and pulling source code from the web for RPM
compilation without packaging into the SRPM itself is a major security
problem, and most repositories refuse to carry such code. There are a very
few "nosrc.rpm" packages out there where you need a separate license to
download the tarball: JPackage used to do this for Sun's Java packages, but
it was a real pain.