On Tue, 24 Sep 2013, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

--001a11c379ecc5abcb04e7297e9d

Down, boy.

Scientific Linux is behind the times on available tools, because our
favorite upstream vendor has not yet released tools. Tools to work with
have been tested, effectively, with Fedora, and I expect our favorite
upstream vendor will include tools with release 7.x, which is not yet in
alpha or beta release. Check out
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html-single/UEFI_Secure_Boot_Guide/index.htmlfor
a good breakdown of the issues and trade-offs.

UEFI is part of the old "Palladium" project from Microsoft, relabeled as
"Trusted Computing". It is aimed squarely at DRM and vendor lock-in, not
security, for reasons that I could spend a whole day discussing.In the
meantime, yes, you can disalbe it for SL booting if needed, and reasonably
expect our favorite upstream vendor to have shims available when version 7
is publishedL they're already working well with recent Fedora releases. I'd
also *expect* those shims to be workable for SL 7, but someone may have to
plunk down some cash to get some keys signed, and spend some extra effort
to maintain the security needed for the relevant shims to work well with SL
kernels and environments.

Last week at LinuxCon North America the shim developers were still developing.

I attended the UEFI Plugfest last week as part of Linux Con. Microsoft gave a presentation on UEFI signing. The presentation will be posted to uefi.org website.

We are working on this.  Fermilab is a member of the UEFI forum .

-Connie Sieh