I have been attempting to find an application that will sound a buzzer (presumably a synthesized sound through the audio system) when, in a laptop, the battery becomes low or the mains power supply is disconnected (and the machine has switched to battery power). The gnome applet changes from a mains plug visible on the displayed icon to no such plug, and then to another icon for a low battery; however, an audible warning would be useful. Note that such a warning should bypass the normal sound system settings (e.g., I set mine to mute because of audio enabled advertising pop-ups when using a web browser). I enable sound output only when I want to listen to an item.

Does anyone know of an application or application configuration to provide this audible power warning?

Yasha  Karant