On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 10:50 PM, ToddAndMargo <toddandma...@zoho.com> wrote:
Hi All,

I was about to untar the latest Libre Office to install
their RPMSs.  It occurred to me that it would be awful
convenient if "rpm" would read inside the tar ball
all on its own.  Is there a way?

Many thanks,
-T

Not currently. RPM is a pretty specific format, and already compressed
quite well. Adding another interpretation layer to it seems unwise.

Tarballing them was done by Sun, especially with bundles like Java,
which they'd actually wripe in an executable bundle that tried to
force you to agree to their license before you unbundled the tarball.
They also had a bad habit of naming the RPM files things that bore no
resemblance to the actual RPM name, which used to drive me bananas.
(And yes, Oracle is now doing this with Java RPM bundles.)

Are they doing this with LibreOffice, too?

Hi Nico,

   They just sit inside the tar ball.  In the case of
4.2.1, they are all at LibreOffice_4.2.1.1_Linux_x86-64_rpm/RPMS/
inside the tar ball.

   After "tar xzvf tarball.gz", I install them with
        rpm -Uvh LibreOffice_4.2.1.1_Linux_x86-64_rpm/RPMS/*.rpm

   I was hoping rpm would do something like

       rpm -Uvh tarball:/LibreOffice_4.2.1.1_Linux_x86-64_rpm/RPMS/*.rpm

   to save me having to untar them.  I know rpm will take a web
address, so maybe a tar ball too?

   I find the java balls annoying too.

-T

--