On 06/07/2014 06:00 PM, zxq9 wrote:
On Saturday 07 June 2014 17:38:35 you wrote:
Hi All,

Bash: I am trying to use a variable to hold
a log and add to it as I go.  I can do this
with a temp file, but I'd rather do it with
a variable.

I have gotten this far:

A=$(echo -e  "abc\n")
A="$A"$(echo -e  "def\n")
A="$A"$(echo -e  "ghi\n")

echo $A
abcdefghi

echo -e $A
abcdefghi

What am I doing wrong?  Is it better to just break
down and just use a file?

The assignment doesn't need echo, and the series of "echo -e" is swallowing
the newlines you expected to have in place.

Here's an example:

-----------------
ceverett@jalapeno ~/Code/bash $ cat var-log.bash
#! /bin/bash
a="start of log"
for newdata in $(seq 1 10)
do
   a="$a\n$newdata"
done
echo -e "$a"

ceverett@jalapeno ~/Code/bash $ ./var-log.bash
start of log
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
-----------------

But really, you shouldn't store a log in a variable, especially if it might
receive a lot of traffic (and especially since you lose everything in the
event of a program interruption of any sort, which defeats the purpose). You
could accumulate a bit of data in a variable, but you should always flush it
to a file. The append redirect operator was designed specifically to make this
easy; not using it is going against the grain.

Hi zxq9,

   I see what I did wrong.  Thank you!

   It is a small log.  Only about 20 line
of text in it.