On 07/12/2014 06:20 PM, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 10:24 PM, ToddAndMargo <toddandma...@zoho.com> wrote:

Hi Pat,

--modify-window=1
       3 hr - 9 sec

--modify-window=10
       3 hr - 8 sec

Rat!  I really though this sounded right

Oh, well...

Any way to turn of the check sum testing?

Well, there is the "--whole-file" option. But -- and this was news to
me -- the man page says it is already the default for local copies:

  -W, --whole-file
               With this option rsync’s delta-transfer algorithm  is  not  used
               and  the  whole file is sent as-is instead.  The transfer may be
               faster if this option is used when  the  bandwidth  between  the
               source  and destination machines is higher than the bandwidth to
               disk  (especially  when  the  "disk"  is  actually  a  networked
               filesystem).   This is the default when both the source and des‐
               tination  are  specified  as  local  paths,  but  only   if   no
               batch-writing option is in effect.

Are you doing incremental copies here, or are you generally copying an
entire tree "fresh"?

Hi Pat,

The changes can be random and anywhere.  It is basically
19 years of intellectual property I take with me.  I
write everything down I trouble shoot at a customer's
site.  There is way too much stuff to remember between
Windows, Linux, and Mac.

Have you tested the speed of a simple "cp -a" or tar/untar?

Not yet.  I was going to test a find the missing file
subroutine next I had a shot at it to see how fast
I could find the removals, since cp won't remove
defunct stuff.

  - Pat

--
Computers are like air conditioners.