On 15 December 2014 at 03:29, Keith Lofstrom <kei...@kl-ic.com> wrote:

> I was sad to learn that there will not be a 32 bit version of
> SL7 / RHEL7 .  I run older T60 laptops with 3x4 aspect ratio
> screens, and have a stockpile of spares and screens and keyboards
> that should last a long time.  I dislike "runt screen" AKA wide
> screen displays.  However, my venerable laptops use 32 bit
> processors.

For 12 year old laptops (as they will be in 2020 -> 2023) you are looking
at needing to put some equity to keep supporting them. That means helping
someone build and maintain a 32 bit port either through 'sweat' equity or
paying someone to do it. The other item is that at 12 years even with a
diminished/stopping Moore's law you are looking at the 'modern' software at
that time most likely requiring something 4-8x more in CPU/memory than the
laptop can handle. Thus sticking to RHEL-6 is probably your best bet.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.