On 02/09/2015 01:40 AM, Yasha Karant wrote:
My university IT department, external to any academic or research unit, has
made the arbitrary decision to force us to use a Microsoft Office365 external
distributed proprietary (cloud) service for official university email.
Although this service nominally supports IETF SMTP and IMAP protocols, it is
abysmally slow when so doing. The campus IT spokesperson has explained that
only a client compliant with Microsoft ActiveSync will fully function with this
imposed proprietary closed system service -- translation:  if one wants
reasonable speed in email, use an ActiveSync client -- probably from Microsoft.

I think your campus IT spokesperson is wrong, or you are not paying enough to
get good service. :-)

We moved to the vaporous 365 cloud about two years ago.  It has not been great.
 They change stuff.  They move you to different 'pods'. They roll out changes
to some pods and not others.  They change things based on our special auth
requirements and other stuff, and it breaks occasionally.  Nearly always the
web-based method works. Of course IE works best, but firefox works well enough
also.

While thunderbird downloads all the mail, which in my case and others is 10's
of thousands of emails ~6 GB, it will be slow.  But once synced, it is
reasonably fast...certainly not as fast as having it local, but reasonable to
use throughout the day.

Initially they did some serious throttling of "abusers" that dramatically
impaired use while thunderbird downloaded messages (e.g., rejecting access to Sent folder
when sending msgs...retry...retry...done), but that changed about a year ago. Sometimes,
often near times of Thunderbird updates but not always, something decides to invalidate
all my folders and a full redownload is needed.  Takes about half a day now, where before
it was about a week, and thunderbird needed several restarts as something would abort and
wouldn't recover.