Here's an interesting feature I discovered while compiling the Atlas
library. During the compilation the Makefile tests out a number of
different, let's call them, block sizes, which are used in the matrix
multiplication routines.

I get The mpression that the developers believe that the test for what
block size is optimal will be affected by the CPU speed , so, the configure
command that you run before make will flat out refuse to finish if you have
the standard cool and quiet, or whatever it's called in Intel world, CPU
frequency scaling running.

The workaround is to reboot your machine , go into the BIOS , turn off the
frequency scaling, and then configure; make ; make install. This was a
little surprising to discover, it's not often that a software packages
forces you to make good life choices. Normally it seems like gentle
suggestions are the default.