On 01/27/2016 07:02 AM, Tom H wrote:
On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 6:41 AM, jdow <j...@earthlink.net> wrote:
On 2016-01-26 05:17, Tom H wrote:
IIRC, Yasha's issue with 802.11 is that he cannot bridge a wifi NIC (I
pointed out in Oct/Nov that it's because the kernel prevents it).
Have you gone into /dev and made the appropriate permissions change on the
device?
NICs aren't listed under "/dev". They're symlinks under
"/sys/class/net/" that point at "/sys/devices/...".
At a previous epoch, both VMware and VirtualBox allowed a MS Win guest to "share" the Linux host 802.11 Internet connection, typically through NAT if my memory serves. This no longer works evidently because of a change in the kernel. Is there any modified driver that can overlay a "virtual" NIC on the real 802.11 NIC? Can the kernel be "tricked" by such an overlay? Is there a possible alternative (modified, "hacked") kernel that will allow this? Is the only alternative to obtain a second 802.11 NIC and then have the Linux host not use this hardware but have it used by the virtual machine (e.g., MS Win guest)? My laptop has an external "hardware" expansion insert slot, and I might be able to find such a 802.11 NIC.

Presumably, a "bare iron" hypervisor controlling the real hardware platform and then allocating virtual machines and their environments (supervisors), e.g., a SL7 VM and a MS Win VM under the hypervisor, would work if the hypervisor time multiplexes the 802.11 NIC between the two VMs. However, one is then forced to a hypervisor controlling the hardware (security issues) along with the additional overhead of a full time hypervisor.