Date: 05/12/05 00:10:55
Subject: RE: [scifinoir2] Re: [PSA] 'iPods can make you deaf'

I have tinitus too, but it didn't come from excessive noise. It just started out of nowhere when I was ten years old. I always have a high-pitched whining sound in my ears. Curiously, despite this, I have above average hearing. It can be distracting in totally silent rooms, though, so I usually turn on the telly or the radio at night to help me sleep.  I went to a website recently that claims to be able to cure many cases of this, as it can often be things such as mucous buildup.

Did you know William Shatner suffers from it too? Remember the OS episode "Arena", where Kirk fought the lizard-like Gorn? There was a scene where Kirk's running for cover and an explosion goes off near him. That explosion damaged Shatner's hearing and caused him to develop tinitus. It became so bad at one point he was depressed and almost at the end of his rope.