I want to play a 'Moon Is A harsh Mistress' role playing
game. before veyerhoeven RUINS IT  with a TRUNCHEON the
way he decimated ST.

mikal x!
--- Brent Wodehouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

http://www.space.com/news/050519_moonrox_challenge.html

> NASA Challenge: Pull Oxygen from Moon Dirt, Win
> $250,000
>
> By Tariq Malik
> Staff Writer
>
> posted: 19 May 2005
>

> NASA has promised a cool $250,000 for the first team
> capable of
> pulling breathable oxygen from mock moon dirt, the
> latest award in the
> space agency's Centennial Challenges program.
>
> The cash prize is the reward for winners of the
> agency's Moon Regolith
> Oxygen (MoonROx) challenge, the third contest set by
> NASA to encourage
> commercial space industry.
>
> "It our hope to kind of seed some of the long-term
> technologies that
> were going to need for future exploration," said Brant
> Sponberg, NASA's
> Centennial Challenges program manager, in a telephone
> interview.
>
> In the MoonROx contest, NASA and the Florida Space
> Research Institute
> (FSRI) challenge inventors to pull at least 11 pounds
> (five kilograms)
> of breathable oxygen from a volcanic ash-derived lunar
> soil substitute
> called JSC-1.
>
> But it doesn't end there. Participants not only have
> to extract the
> oxygen, but must accomplish the feat within eight
> hours. The
> competition expires June 1, 2008.
>
> "Oxygen extraction technologies will be critical for
> both robotic and
> human missions to the moon," said Sam Durrance,
> executive director for
> FSRI. Like other space-focused prize competitions, the
> MoonROx
> challenge will encourage a broad community of
> innovators to develop
> technologies that expand our capabilities.
>
> Earlier this year, NASA detailed two other centennial
> challenges.
>
> The 2005 Beam Power Challenge will award $50,000 to
> the first team
> that can use wireless technology to lift a weight off
> the ground. Such
> technology could eventually be employed to beam
> payloads off Earth.
> Meanwhile, the 2005 Tether Challenge calls for teams
> to build the
> strongest tether of a specific diameter. The tethers
> will each be
> stretched to the breaking point, with winners
> advancing through the
> ranks toward a final showdown with NASA's house
> tether, made of
> existing material. Beat the house tether and you snag
> $50,000.
>
> NASA plans to set aside about $80 million towards
> Centennial Challenge
> prizes over the next five years to encourage private
> space technology
> development. Partly spurred by the $10 million Ansari
> X Prize for a
> private, manned suborbital spaceflight - which was
> [...]

http://particlezen.proboards7.com/index.cgi
the edge of everything.  no, really.

http://www.deadjournal.com/users/cataleptik/
catal3ptik is a rav3r