Good point. That's why I was asking for an opinion, because I'd quit
watching. Still think "Homicide" had the most realized Blacks on TV in a
coon's age...

-----Original Message-----
From: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tracey de Morsella (formerly Tracey L. Minor)
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 09:20
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [scifinoir2] Re: What happened to "Grey's Anatomy"?

I Like Washington, and see this role as an opportunity for him.  But...
that could be lust talking.  :)

Stealth diversity..  I like that term.  I do not necessarily have a
problem with stealth diversity..  For many artists of color, it might be
the only way to get high profile, break out roles.  the same for many
producers, writers and directors of color.  I've seen the shows with
true diversity last only 6 six and bottom of the list ratings.  In the
long run it does not do much good.  If Grey Anatomy becomes an ER,
(which seems extremely likely) Washington, that Black actress, and the
Asian actress might find themselves with stable employment with a high
profile role that actually requires them to act, allows them to take
some of the offers of movies that they now will get, enough money to
produce their own stuff if they want, and also will present them with
opportunities for other juicy parts.

If you look at the career paths of Omar Epps,  Eriq La Salle , Ming-Na
and maybe a few other ER alumni of color, ER may have contributed to
some milestones in their careers.  I think being on a top 10 show, in a
part where you are not playing some stereotype could definitely do some
positive things for an actor's career.

So, while I have a few criticisms and reservations about Grey's Anatomy,
I am glad in is thriving.

Tracey