There's been surprisingly little Star Wars talk in the group. I guess
few of y'all are fans, and fewer still saw "Revenge of the Sith". I
don't consider myself a fan the way I am for Star Trek, but I still
enjoy it. Fan or not, I think you'll like the A&E special on the making
of the "first" film: A New Hope. It's amazing to see how Lucas
singlehandedly pulled this vision together when everyone else--actors,
crew, financial backers--thought he was nuts. At one point Star Wars
almost became a Saturday morning kids' project. A real testament to the
power of persevering with your dreams. Fascinating to watch how ILM
invented the whole FX industry. Funny to watch Hamil, Fisher, and Ford
just laugh and groan through the incredibly stilted and phony sounding
dialogue. And actors working agains blue screens where they don't see
the action that'll be added later is common now, but back then it was
surreal and the actors thought it was hilarious.   Also, a real treat to
see people like William "The Greatest American Hero" Katt, Kurt Russell,
Cindy Williams, and others reading for the parts of Luke, Han, and Leia.

http://www.aetv.com/global/listings/series_showcase.jsp?EGrpType=Series
<http://www.aetv.com/global/listings/series_showcase.jsp?EGrpType=Series
&Id=11470933&NetwCode=AEN> &Id=11470933&NetwCode=AEN

It is the most popular space adventure of all time and one of the most
groundbreaking sagas in Hollywood history. This two-hour A&E SPECIAL
PRESENTATION: STAR WARS: EMPIRE OF DREAMS details how the phenomenon
captured imaginations with an irresistible Force and catapulted three
young performers to stardom - Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie
Fisher. But the STAR WARS trilogy didn't just change the way we look at
movies. It changed the way movies are made. What began as a galactic
fairy tale became a success story beyond one man's wildest dreams. While
George Lucas has remained true to his own vision, it's audiences
everywhere who have reaped the rewards ever since May 1977 when
moviegoers first caught sight of that galaxy far, far away. For Lucas,
what began as a quest for creative freedom became a philosophy, a
cultural phenomenon and his own empire of dreams.

The A&E SPECIAL PRESENTATION: STAR WARS: EMPIRE OF DREAMS features
riveting movie clips and fascinating screen tests plus interviews with
George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie
Fisher and other cast members.