As the daughter of folks in the medical profession, I get extremely
worried when the world gives ONE answer to any problem.

So now that world has convinced us that the ONE answer to ADD is
ritalin, we feel we can rest and not look for any other cures.

Kinda like the laxatives help constipation, or the pain-killer helps
headaches, or the midol helps cramps fix-alls. It just gets me
worried, that's all. There are so many environmental, dietary,
nutritional reasons for problems and when the people of a country are
told that the ONLY way to fix something is to use this ONE remedy,
I'm sorry but I get nervous.

Do you know which company sends all those videos to schools about
ADD? Ciba-Geigy? Yep, the makers of ritalin.

Ritalin helps quite a few kids but a drug given primarily (not
solely, but primarily) to make a kid do well at school --a drug with
some kooky side effects and which statistics show most doctors don't
give their own ADD kids...a drug which fights all
competitors....well, call me cynical but I'm not gonna take it. I
don't trust actors to tell me what not to give to my kids. But at the
same time, I don't much trust the AMA either. My doctor friends don't
even trust the AMA.

Remember that the drug companies have to pay the FDA to fund tests on
their drugs. That means the FDA gets a lot of money from drug
companies. Remember that 100, 000 people a year die from bad drug
interaction. (only 10,000 for herbs and vitamins administered by
folks treating themselves) Remember that the third largest cause of
death in America is related to prescription drugs. Remember that the
government doesn't do drug tests on kids so the percentage of a drug
recommended for children is figured from adult dosages.  So we can
never be sure what a drug is doing to a kid. At the risk of sounding
like Tom Cruise, I'll stop my medicine comment.

-C

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, Bosco Bosco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have followed this discussion a little bit and the Tom Cruise
> chemicals are bad freakout a little bit and I have to wonder a
couple
> of things. First, Where did Tom Cruise get his medical degree?
> Second,  are there really people who make medical and health
> decisions on the basis of the opinion of an actor? Yep Im a giggling
> both at Tom Cruise and the bevy of reactionaries who are calling him
> dangerous.
>
> For the record, I used antidepressants because I had various
> seratonin issues related to other body chemistry issues. It worked
> great. I got better and now I dont need them anymore. Had I not had
> them, I probably would not be here today. I also had a roommate who
> had a kid who needed ritalin. Without it he was dysfunctional in the
> extreme. With it he could actually go to school and function with
the
> "normal" kids. he was miserable without it and well happy with it.
> Yep, for the record Tom Cruise is a moron.
>
> Bosco
>
> --- Astromancer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Well I use ritalin and the stuff keeps me straight, so I guess I'm
> > not qualified to comment...
> >
> > Carole McDonnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Call me odd but Tom
> > Cruise has always left me cold. It's not the
> > scientology thing. After all John Travolta is a scientologist and
> >
> > like him a lot. The man just doesn't seem to let his soul come
> > through. I honestly don't know his personality.
> >
> > As for his crazy behavior-- at last I'm beginning to see
something
> > about him that interests me. Not the Oprah couch-jumping but the
> > three (so far) times he told off media people in the past weeks.
> > His
> > anger over Matt Lauer's ritalin comment certainly surprised me.
And

> > since I don't trust ritalin either, it made me like Tom a bit.
> >
> > As for War of the Worlds, I would probably have seen it if Tom
> > wasn't
> > in it. There are a few people whose movies I never see: Tom
Cruise