[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Interesting point but here is a point of my own and I am planning to see this
film.

  Except for the titular character, the other kids in this film are obnoxious
brats who get their comeuppances.  Wouldn't you rather have nasty white kids
get humiliated than kids of color?  I would!
  Amy

  Hello Rainbow people,

  Please respond as you see fit.

  It may look like Chocolate but it's really Vanilla
  By The Hollywood Watchdawg

  Unless I'm mistaken, the upcoming film `Charlie and the
  Chocolate
  Factory,' starring academy award nominee, Johnny Depp, as Willie
  Wonka is supposed to appeal to Children - All Children that is.
  So
  the question is; why doesn't Warner Bros., the studio that
  financed
  and is distributing the film do so?

  Here's yet again, another "kids" movie that fails to
  reflect the
  kids of America; instead it reflects the vision of an artist whose
  palette only includes one color - white. The movie ads feature
  Johnny Depp standing in front of five kids, all of whom are
  Caucasian. In a society where 1 out of 4 children are of color,
  Hollywood again finds itself depicting a distorted view of reality.
  What is even more troublesome is that Hollywood's home state of
  California is the most racially diverse in the nation.

  It's utterly mind-bogging as to why the producers and the
  director,
  Tim Burton (who gets the brunt of the criticism because this film
  supposedly represents his vision of the world) for that matter to
  take a step out of their own primitive and cultural unenlightened
  minds and look out the damn window. If Tim can use his influence to
  get his fiancée Helena Bonham Carter the lead role, then surely he
  could add some `color' to his film. This is a movie that
  Children of
  all ethnicities should enjoy and appreciate. So why not make a film
  that is reflective of that.

  A couple of years ago, there was some similar controversy about
  `The
  Cat in the Hat,' and `How the Grinch Stole Christmas `two
  films from
  the Dr. Seuss anthology that also coincidentally featured a cast of
  exclusively Caucasian Children. Both films had mixed reviews but it
  was the latter that received the most criticism. For what its
  worth,' The Cat in the Hat,' was a box office disappointment.
  The
  average viewer gave it a rating of D+.

  I'm sure that is one feat that Warner Bros. Wishes not to repeat.

  On the flip side you have `Rebound', featuring Martin
  Lawrence as a
  former college basketball coach who is forced to coach a middle
  school team. The movie poster is a vivid as the reality it chooses
  to reflect. Seven kids reaching for basketball, two are black, one
  female, another is ethnic, possibly Latino. Chalk one up for
  progress.

  Unlike `Chocolate,' the producers, including director Steve
  Carr,
  whose credits are equally as colorful (Next Friday, Dr. Dolittle 2
  and Daddy Day Care) decided to represent the real, whether that
  reality is set in California, Indiana, Texas, Tennessee, or New
  York. All kids of all ethnicities play basketball and the movie ads
  are a reflection of that.

  Back to `Charlie.' Since I find it inconceivable for the
  producers
  to make a film about and for children that does not include
  diversity, I've come up with three probable answers (paired down
  from about a dozen) as to why this is so. Please note that my
  response, placed in the context of a conversation immediately follow
  each statement.

  1) HD, I don't see what your problem is.Black Kids, White
  Kids,
  Asian Kids, Latino Kids, Biracial Kids, whatever. Kids are kids'
  dude. They don't care about color.

  .So if kids don't care about color, why not put some kids of
  color
  in there??? You know just for laughs since they won't be noticed
  anyway.

  2) Look, we are [The producers] color-blind and selected our cast
  from the best talent available. If there's anyone who is color
  struck, it'll be someone from the audience.

  Best talent available??? Where in Butte Falls, Montana? What you
  really mean is: you guys don't want to make people (read whites)
  who
  live in racially segregated communities uncomfortable, so you
  decided to limit it to the ones in your community, (say Butte Falls,
  Montana) so that way no one gets offended.

  3) I'm not a racist, some of my best friends are Black.Dude,
  do you
  know, how difficult it is to consciously create a multiracial
  cast.
  to include one, would be to exclude someone else based upon race,
  when it should be talent. Besides, this is the vision of the
  director [Tim Burton], he can see the world through his eyes only.
  So if he wants an all white cast [that would be Caucasian] so be it.
  Love it or Leave it.

  Hey fair enough...

  Rainbow people, I tried.

  The truth of the matter is that nearly 80% of Caucasians reside in
  exclusively white communities, so their experience and their
  artistry is a reflection of that. So the question is how do we get
  directors and producers to look beyond the borders of their own
  segregated world? If they just opened their windows (and eyes),
  they'll see the diversity of the global audience and possibly
  figure
  out the best way to reach them (i.e. cash in on them) is to create
  images that are reflective of them.

  Are they in a state of oblivion? Is it just ignorance or just old
  fashioned, Blood Red, Sky Blue, Apple Pie Racism?

  Honestly, I'm not sure.but then again this is America.

  The Hollywood Watchdawg is a pop culture critic and can be reached
  at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  -0-