Thanks for posting this. This is a personal grooming habit to which
I was unaware. Having read it, I am speechless. Avoiding the sun due
to skin cancer is one thing; whitening is something else.

George

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, Said Kakese Dibinga
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> now, uh, this is interesting...Said
>COLUMN ONE
>Beauty and the Bleach
>Some Asian American women spend thousands pursuing the traditional
ideal of whiter skin. Others see a dark shadow of prejudice.
>By Jia-Rui Chong
> Times Staff Writer
> July 26, 2005
>
> For many Southern Californians, summer is the season for beaches,
chaise longues and the quest for the perfect tan.

> Not for Margaret Qiu. She and thousands of other Asian American
women are going to great lengths to avoid the sun — fighting to
preserve or enhance their pale complexions with expensive creams,
masks, gloves, professional face scrubs and medical procedures.

<snip>