What do ya mean? This could be a boom for us older folks! Read:

"This is enough to give 10% of men and 17% of women aged between 25
and 34 lethal cancers later in their lives, it concludes. The risks
are much higher than the 3% maximum recommended for astronauts...
The risks are smaller for older people because cancers have less
time to develop."

So maybe the first long-mission astronauts will be us older folks,
who have already had kids?

George

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Harlib" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   This is really depressing!
>

>   http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn7753
>   Cosmic rays may prevent long-haul space travel
>   15:01 01 August 2005
>   NewScientist.com news service
>   Rob Edwards
>

> The radiation encountered on a journey to Mars and back could
> well kill space travellers, experts have warned. Astronauts would
> be bombarded by so much cosmic radiation that one in 10 of them
> could die from cancer.
>
> The crew of any mission to Mars would also suffer increased
> risks of eye cataracts, loss of fertility and genetic defects in
> their children, according to a study by the US Federal Aviation
> Administration (FAA).
>
> Cosmic rays, which come from outer space and solar flares, are now
> regarded as a potential limiting factor for space travel. "I do
> not see how the problem of this hostile radiation environment can
> be easily overcome in the future," says Keran O'Brien, a space
> physicist from Northern Arizona University, US.
>
> "A massive spacecraft built on the moon might possibly be
> constructed so that the shielding would reduce the radiation
> hazard," he told New Scientist. But even so he reckons that humans
> will be unable to travel more than 75 million kilometres (47
> million miles) on a space mission - about half the distance from
> the Earth to the Sun. This allowance might get them to Mars or
> Venus, but not to Jupiter or Saturn.
>

>   Risky business
>
> Helped by O'Brien, the FAA's Civil Aerospace Medical Institute in
> Oklahoma City investigated the radiation doses likely to be
> received by people on a 2.7-year return trip to Mars, including a
> stay of more than a year on the planet. The study estimated that
> individual doses would end up being very high, at 2.26 sieverts.
>
> This is enough to give 10% of men and 17% of women aged between 25
> and 34 lethal cancers later in their lives, it concludes. The
> risks are much higher than the 3% maximum recommended for
> astronauts throughout their careers by the US National Council on
> Radiation Protection and Measurements.
>
> The risks are smaller for older people because cancers have less
> time to develop. But women are always in more danger than men
> because they live longer and are more susceptible to breast and
> ovarian cancers.
>
>   The study warns that cosmic rays would also increase the risk of
> cataracts clouding the eyes. Furthermore, men exposed to a solar
> flare might suffer a temporary reduction in fertility, and the
> chances that any children conceived by travellers to Mars will
> have genetic defects are put at around 1%.

<snip>

 would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?Donate or volunteer
in the arts today at Network for Good</a>.</font>