Quiet as it is kept, the firemen in New York did quite a bit
of "looting" in the aftermath of 9/11...but they are still "heros."

~rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Brent Wodehouse"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?
vnu_content_id=1001051261

> 'Times-Picayune' Announces New Home - in Houma - and Reports
Looting by
> Cops and Firemen
>
> By E&P Staff
>
> Published: August 30, 2005 6:25 PM ET
>

> NEW YORK The battered Times-Picayune of New Orleans, which
evacuated its
> downtown office this afternoon, posted a simple note to it staffers
on its
> Web site late this afternoon: "We are working at the Houma Courier
for a
> few days. If you have news, call 985-850-1182. We plan to set up a
longer
> term newsroom in Baton Rouge. Call the Advocate to find out where
we are."

> Meanwhile, two staffers published a story on one of the Web site's
blogs,
> reporting on the looting in the city - joined in by cops and
firemen who
> had been called to the scene.
>
> Other reports, and TV footage, have shown brazen looting at many
sites
> around the city. One compared the current climate in the
increasingly
> desperate city to "Sodom and Gomorrah."
>
> One looter shot a local police officer, but Tuesday night word came
that
> the officer was expected to survive.
>
> At the Times-Picayune Web site, Mike Perlstein and Brian Thevenot
wrote
> that at a Wal-Mart on Tchoupitoulas Street, mass looting broke out
after a
> giveaway of supplies was announced at that location. While some did
indeed
> carry away food and essentials, others "cleared out jewelry racks
and
> carted out computers, TVs, and appliances on handtrucks. Some
officers
> joined in taking whatever they could, including one New Orleans cop
who
> loaded a shopping cart with a compact computer and a 27-inch flat
screen
> television.
>
> "Throughout the store and parking lot, looters pushed carts and
loaded
> trucks and vans alongside officers. One man said police directed
him to
> Wal-Mart from Robert's Grocery, where a similar scene was taking
place. A
> crowd in the electronics section said one officer broke the glass
DVD case
> so people wouldn't cut themselves.
>
> "The police got all the best stuff. They're crookeder than us," one
man
> said. Most officers, though, simply stood by powerless against the
tide of
> law breakers.
>
> One veteran officer said, "It's like this everywhere in the city.
This

http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/LRMolB/TM