"The Race to Fashoda: Colonialism and African Resistance" by African-
American scholar David Levering Lewis is an excellent, extremely well-
written and researched text about the same subject.

~rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> HISTORY    _King  Leopold's Ghost_
> (http://sublit.com/ad/func/ct.php?
mail_list_id=22&job_id=465325&subscriber_id=247296&listing_id=LISTING_
ID&url=www.amazon
> .com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0618001905/102-1521687-6248139)
> by Adam  Hochschildjournalistic  account of King Leopold II's
colonization of
> the Congo, which killed ten million  Africans, inspired Heart of
Darkness,
> and led to Mobutu Sese Seko's  brutal dictatorship.
>
> Review
> When Adam  Hochschild realized that King Leopold II's colonization
of the
> Congo â€" a  holocaust that killed ten million Africans â€" was
largely untold and
> unremembered, he decided to write King Leopold's Ghost. Hochschild
is a
> Berkeley professor, a long-time journalist, and cofounder of
Mother  Jones, and in
> his able hands what could have been a morbid read becomes an  eye-
opening,
> plotty story filled with intrigue and poignancy.
>
> King  Leopold II assumed the throne of Belgium in 1865, and if
there were
> ever a  monarch whose ambitions did not fit his country, he was it.
Hemmed in by

NG_ID&url=www.onwar.com/aced/nation/fax/france/ffranceprussia1870.htm)
 ,
> Leopold's dreams of power, wealth, and empire seemed  destined to
wither away
> until _Henry Morton Stanley_
> (http://sublit.com/ad/func/ct.php?
mail_list_id=22&job_id=465325&subscriber_id=247296&listing_id=LISTING_
ID&url=en.wikipedia.org/wiki
> /Henry_Morton_Stanley)  emerged (barely alive) from his treks
through the
> Congo in 1877. Courting the macho trailblazer, Leopold was able to
get the
> inside scoop on the vast jungle from virtually the only person who
could  provide
> it to the Western world.
>
> It wasn't long before Leopold laid claim  to an enormous swath of
land,
> halving the Congo's indigenous population in 40  years and making
himself rich and
> powerful. As the wealth stacked, so did the  atrocities: children
were clubbed
> to death to save bullets, women were abducted  to compel men to
work, and
> entire villages were razed to plant  rubber.
>
> Despite _the horror_
> (http://sublit.com/ad/func/ct.php?
mail_list_id=22&job_id=465325&subscriber_id=247296&listing_id=LISTING_
ID&url=etext.lib.virginia.edu/e
> tcbin/toccer-new2?
id=ConDark.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/mode
> ng/parsed&tag=public&part=all)  of Leopold's regime, King Leopold's
Ghost is
> also a story of redemption. Hochschild relates the tale of George
Washington

http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/LRMolB/TM